Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lesson 2: Martha & Mary (The Bethany Sisters)

Lesson 2: Martha and Mary
The Bethany Sisters
Luke 10:38-42

 Martha means: Lady of the house
 Mary means: Wise woman

Who were these two women:

 Mary and Martha are the most familiar set of sisters in the Bible. Both Luke and John describe them as friends of Jesus. Luke's story, though only four verses long, has been a complex source of inspiration, interpretation, and debate for centuries. John's story, which says the sisters had a brother named Lazarus, spans seventy verses. Though some earlier interpreters blended the person of Mary of Bethany with Mary Magdalene and the sinful woman of Luke 7:36-50, current scholars believe she was a different person.

Luke's Story

  According to Luke, Martha was head of the household; she welcomed Jesus into her home. Mary was probably younger. Like most sisters, these two women had conflicts which emerged because of their different personalities, roles, and simply the fact that they were siblings
.
  “Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42).


Lesson 2: Martha and Mary
Thinking Questions:

1. In your busy life how can you eliminate things that are less important, and make time to what is important?



2. Are you a Martha or a Mary? Why?



3. What inspired you most about these two sisters?


Reflection Verse: “ Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  (Luke 10:41-42)

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts from the lesson By: Sarai

    This lesson really hit home to me, I feel that I should be more of a Mary and less of a Martha. I believe I am a bit of both, because I know that I can eliminate, certain things from life to get more into the word, and to also spend more time with my boys.
    What really inspired me about these two sisters, was Mary's devotion to Jesus Christ. She didn't care to do anything else but, to sit at the feet of Jesus and soak in His every word. I want to be like Mary, and sit at Jesus feet daily and soak in His every word, and also spend more time with my boys, on a regular basis. And of course we'll always have things to get done around the house, but sometimes we need to see what is more important, and just drop the chores, and spend time in the Word and make time for our family.

    ReplyDelete